With the popularity of word-guessing game Wordle, launched in Oct. 2021, its format soon expanded into interesting variations. One of them, Heardle, is a musical guessing game that vaguely resembles 2012 hit SongPop combined with Wordle’s format.
Each day, Heardle will play snippets of the intro to a different song by “a long list of popularly streamed artists,” according to the game’s website. The first snippet is one second long, and that is all you get if you want to guess correctly on the first try. From the second snippet on, they get progressively longer until the sixth and final try, which will play 16 seconds of the song. You can also skip a few tries if you feel like the snippet is too short, but be careful or you might end up with no guesses left.
Although all the songs in Heardle’s database are by popular artists on streaming services, it can still be hard to guess, especially if you don’t regularly listen to mainstream music or the radio. If you find yourself stuck, trying to remember where exactly you heard that intro before, a few hints about the song and artist might help.
Fortunately, we’ve got you covered.
Clues for Heardle No. 84 (May 20, 2022)
Below are a few clues about the song and artist featured on Heardle’s 84th puzzle. You can use them all at once or take your time with each—there are six of them, which could mean one clue per try.
- The artist is a male singer from the United States.
- The song is his debut solo single.
- It was co-written with Pharrell Williams.
- Prior to being a solo singer, the artist was part of a boy band.
- His debut album had two other singles that were more successful than this one.
- The artist was part of the Mickey Mouse Club.
If the information above was not enough for you to remember the song, or if you simply want to skip to the actual answers, no problem.
Answer to Heardle No. 84 (May 20, 2022)
Heardle’s song of the day for May 20, 2022 (Heardle No. 84) is Like I Love You, by Justin Timberlake.
The track was originally released on Sept. 16, 2002, as the lead single from Timberlake’s debut solo album, Justified, which came out on Nov. 5, 2002. It is an R&B song co-written with Pharrell Williams and the first song released by Timberlake since NSYNC’s 2002 hiatus. Other singles from the album include the hits Rock Your Body and Cry Me a River, the latter a track inspired by his breakup with Britney Spears.
Previous Heardle Answers
- Heardle No. 83 (May 19, 2022): Wrecking Ball, by Miley Cyrus
- Heardle No. 82 (May 18, 2022): Smoke on the Water, by Deep Purple
- Heardle No. 81 (May 17, 2022): Freedom ’90, by George Michael
- Heardle No. 80 (May 16, 2022): American Boy (feat. Kanye West), by Estelle
- Heardle No. 79 (May 15, 2022): You Can Call Me Al, by Paul Simon
- Heardle No. 78 (May 14, 2022): Dancing in the Moonlight, by Toploader
- Heardle No. 77 (May 13, 2022): Mr. Blue Sky, by Electric Light Orchestra
- Heardle No. 76 (May 12, 2022): Take on Me, by a-ha
- Heardle No. 75 (May 11, 2022): Maria Maria, by Santana featuring The Product G&B
- Heardle No. 74 (May 10, 2022): (Don’t Fear) The Reaper, by Blue Öyster Cult
- Heardle No. 73 (May 9, 2022): Virtual Insanity, by Jamiroquai
- Heardle No. 72 (May 8, 2022): This Woman’s Work, by Kate Bush
- Heardle No. 71 (May 7, 2022): Girls Just Want to Have Fun, by Cyndi Lauper
- Heardle No. 70 (May 6, 2022): Music Sounds Better With You, by Stardust
- Heardle No. 69 (May 5, 2022): No Scrubs, by TLC
- Heardle No. 68 (May 4, 2022): Shivers, by Ed Sheeran
- Heardle No. 67 (May 3, 2022): I Know What You Want, by Busta Rhymes and Mariah Carey
- Heardle No. 66 (May 2, 2022): Manic Monday, by The Bangles
- Heardle No. 65 (May 1, 2022): Killing in the Name, by Rage Against the Machine
- Heardle No. 64 (April 30, 2022): It’s Gonna Be Me, by *NSYNC
- Heardle No. 63 (April 29, 2022): Young Hearts Run Free, by Candi Staton
- Heardle No. 62 (April 28, 2022): Stay (I Missed You), by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
- Heardle No. 61 (April 27, 2022): I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll, by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
- Heardle No. 60 (April 26, 2022): 1 Thing, by Amerie
- Heardle No. 59 (April 25, 2022): (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, by The Rolling Stones
- Heardle No. 58 (April 24, 2022): Ex-Factor, by Lauryn Hill
- Heardle No. 57 (April 23, 2022): Return of the Mack, by Mark Morrison
- Heardle No. 56 (April 22, 2022): Whenever, Wherever, by Shakira
- Heardle No. 55 (April 21, 2022): Adore You, by Harry Styles
Like most daily guessing games, Heardle resets at midnight local time, bringing a new musical challenge for you to test your knowledge—and brag about on social media.