Patch 2021.9 launched the digital version of Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, the new post-rotation Standard-legal set in Magic: The Gathering.
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt (MID) was released around 12pm CT on Sept. 16 via MTG Arena in conjunction with Magic’s first cinematic trailer since Kaldheim to hype up the new Standard set. The update did have a few issues that WotC repaired throughout the day, offering players a free XP code in addition to the code PLAYMID, which grants players three free Midnight Hunt booster packs.
Renewal rewards for playing MTG Arena are also available, requiring some players to close the client and log back in for the egg to appear. While new bugs may have appeared, WotC resolved a number of lingering issues from Patch 2021.08 that included a resolution to the Mythic rank in Limited and Brawl/Historic bugs. A number of cosmetics were added to the MTG Arena shop, including new bundles and depth art via Patch 2021.9. And events have been updated for the month of September.
MTG Arena 2021.09.2 Sept. 23 patch
Patch 2021.09.2 on Sept. 23 resolved three MTG Arena event bugs that included Sealed and Draft decks ghosting out, preventing players from being able to edit their builds between matches. The Limited decklists are now able to get updated and the bug preventing players from receiving Premier Draft cards has been resolved.
Several gameplay fixes were also applied within the MTG Arena 2021.09.2 patch that fixed visual effects and cards that were soft-locked.
- The correct art is now found on Grafted Identity
- Exiled cards that had an effect which allowed casting cards from exile will no longer allow players to cast unplayable cards that are within exile
- An issue that was soft locking cards that were dragged while viewing the battlefield will not longer lock up
- A visual and audio bug on The Coven has been resolved
MTG Arena 2021.09.02 Sept. 17 patch
An MTG Arena mini patch took place during the evening of Sept. 17 resolving a total of three issues. The new MID planeswalker Teferi, Who Slos the Sunset was creating an emblem that didn’t work properly. Spells played in conjunction with Rebound were causing other spells to improperly cast from Exile, and Feather, the Redeemed was letting more cards than its ability intended to return.
All three bugs were resolved during the MTG Arena Patch 2021.09.02.
MTG Arena Patch 2021.9 bug fixes
Notable bugs, like players not getting quest progress from Direct Challenges with friends, were resolved for a second time, while other issues like gameplay improvements were made to compensate for MID mechanics.
- Mythic ranked players in the MTG Limited format will no longer have a beginner rank
- Commander weighting within Brawl and Historic formats was resolved
- Welcome bundle packs were fixed with WotC offering MTG Arena players a “mass grant,” according to WotC, of mixed packs to those who were affected.
- Quests no progressing via Direct and Friendly Challenges was resolved, again
- A bug where clicking “Craft All” would use a Common Wildcard for on uncollected card no matter its rarity was fixed
- Quick Drafts will no longer get reset
- Crafting decks while using Direct Challenge bugs were resolved
- Favorite decks will once again show up immediately
- Bugs affecting social features within MTG Arena were resolved
- Players can now access the support page
- Sorting within pet select issues have been resolved
- Japanese rotation will no longer link to old information
- Perpetual changes will display correctly on Adventure cards
- Perpetual modifications for split cards in hand will work correctly
- Mana source permanents that have animations will “take spells on the stack into account when determining priority for tapping those permanents,” according to WotC.
MTG Arena event schedule
The Standard Metagame Challenge returns to MTG Arena on Sept. 24 to 27. And the MID Constructed event is scheduled to take place in early October.
- Standard Singleton: Sept. 14 to 16
- Brawl: Sept. 21 to 23
- Artisan: Sept. 28 to 30
- Sept. 17 to Oct. 1: Strixhaven: School of Mages
- Oct. 1 to 15: Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Other MTG Arena events
- Jumpstart: Historic Horizons: Aug. 26 to Oct. 14
- Standard Metagame Challenge: Sept. 24 to 27
- Constructed MID: Oct. 1 to 4
- Qualifier Weekend MID phantom Sealed: Oct. 9 and 10
MTG Arena MID cosmetic bundles
Eternal Night lands have arrived within MTG Arena, along with bundles that include harvest tide, predator, and borderless cosmetic treatments. Thopter pet, Thopter card sleeve, Bolas Kaida Yuji card sleeve, and Liliana Yoshitaka Amano card sleeve are leaving the Magic Arena store soon.
- Sticker MID bundle: Includes Terferi, Gisa, and Much Moon sticker emotes for 1,000 gems or 5,000 gold
- Eternal Night basic lands: Full art Eternal Night art basic lands for 5,000 gems or 25,000 gold
- Planeswalker bundle: Includes Arlinn, the Pack’s Hope, Tefrei, Who Slows the Sunset, and Wrenn and Seven borderless card styles for 1,800 gems or 9,000 gold
- Borderless land bundle: Includes Deserted Beach, Haunted Ridge, Overgrown Farmland, Rockfall Vale, hand Shipwreck March borderless card styles for 1,000 gems or 5,000 gold
- Equinox Harvesttide bundle: Includes Arlinn, the Pack’s Hope, Brutal Cathar, Dawnhart Wardens, Saryth, the Viper’s Fang, Spellrune Painter, Tireless Hauler, and Hound Tamer Harvesttide card style for 1,800 gems or 9,000 gold
- Equinox Predator bundle: Includes Baneblade Scoundrel, Fangblade Brigand, Tavern Ruffian, Outland Liberator, Tovolar, Dire Overlord, Shady Traveler, Reckless Stormseeker, and Burly Breaker Predator card style for 1,600 games or 8,000 gold
September MTG Arena ranked season
Due to issues and bugs resulting from Patch 2021.08, adjustments were made to the MTG Arena ranked season. The season will run from Aug. 24 to Sept. 30. The battle pass was reset with the launch of MID on Sept. 16. Rewards for the September MTG Arena ranked season include gold, booster packs, and card styles depending on rank.
- Bronze rank: One AFR booster pack
- Silver rank: One AFR booster pack and 500 gold
- Gold rank: Two AFR booster packs, 1,000 gold, and a Power Word Kill card style
- Platinum rank: Three AFR booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Power Word Kill, and Adult Gold Dragon card style
- Diamond rank: Four AFR booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Power Word Kill, and Adult Gold Dragon card style
- Mythic rank: Five AFR booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Power Word Kill, and Adult Gold Dragon card style
Update Sept. 17 7:30pm CT: This article was updated to include three bug fixes from an MTG Arena mini patch that took place on Sept. 17.