More than 250 Magic: The Gathering cards are getting added to MTG Arena during the month of July in conjunction with new events, rebalanced cards, and the July Ranked season.
An MTG Arena update scheduled to take place on July 7 will release the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate (HBG) expansion into the Alchemy and Historic formats, along with a large number of Alchemy rebalance changes. With the release of the new Alchemy expansion, MTG Arena is offering players two exclusive events: Alchemy Metagame Challenge and Dragon Brawl.
Players can also participate in Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Limited Sealed and Constructed events throughout the month as well. And a Quick Draft of HGB is slated to begin towards the end of July in conjunction with Phantom Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Draft via Midweek Magic events.
July 27 MTG Arena announcement updates
Scheduled to drop on July 28 are two MTG Arena exclusive expansions: Historic Anthology six and Explorer Anthology one. Both expansions will feature a bundle for purchase in the store, offering players four copies of the 20 cards contained in each set.
WotC is running a special summer cosmetic sale, starting on Aug. 4. No details as to what is included in the sale have been released at time of writing. The sale is for a limited time only, running from Aug. 4 to 17.
Arena Open changes
The next MTG Arena Open is slated to take place from July 30 to 31. The format for the event is Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Draft. Players who advance to the second day will Draft twice now, instead of only once. The second Draft will take place after a total of three wins during day two of the MTG Arena Open. All participants in the tournament will receive a Baldur’s Gate dragon card sleeve.
July 20 MTG Arena announcement updates
WotC will drop two new expansions into MTG Arena on July 28: Historic Anthology six and Explorer Anthology one. Historic Anthology cards are for the Historic format only. Players can expect that no iconic MTG cards within the Historic Anthology six expansion will get rebalanced before or after release, according to WotC.
Both expansions will be sold via bundles within MTG Arena. Each bundle contains four copies of 20 cards and the bundles are priced at 4,000 gems or 25,000 gold each. Players can purchase the bundles between July 28 and Oct. 5.
A total of six cards were revealed via the MTG Arena announcements, three for Historic Anthology six and three for Explorer Anthology one.
- Go-Shintai of Life’s Origin: Historic Anthology six
- Tarmogoyf: Historic Anthology six
- Avacyn: Angel of Hope: Historic Anthology six
- Favored Hoplite: Explorer Anthology one
- Supreme Verdict: Explorer Anthology one
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet: Explorer Anthology one
July MTG Arena main events
WotC is offering MTG Arena players a total of three main events during the month of July, showcasing Alchemy and Rulebook card-style rewards.
Alchemy Metagame Challenge
The Alchemy Metagame Challenge returns to MTG Arena from July 8 at 10am CT to July 11 at 10am CT. Players can bring any Alchemy Constructed deck to compete in a best-of-three match format where one match loss bumps you from the event. Up to seven wins, however, can earn players gold and 30 Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster packs.
To compete in the Alchemy Metagame Challenge, players will need to pay an MTG Arena event fee of either 2,000 gold or 400 gems.
Historic Brawl takes center stage within MTG Arena from July 14 to 18 via the Dragon Brawl event. At an entry fee cost of 5,000 gold or 1,000 gems, players can compete with preconstructed Historic Brawl decks that are led by a legendary dragon.
Players can compete as many times as they like, earning up to 10 Rulebook Showcase card styles. Each win earns a player two card styles up to five total wins. Players will not see duplicate card styles offered with additional wins during the event.
Here are the Rulebook card styles offered as rewards within the MTG Arena Dragon Brawl event:
- Ancient Gold Dragon
- Ancient Silver Dragon
- Ancient Brass Dragon
- Ancient Copper Dragon
- Ancient Bronze Dragon
- Miirym, Sentinel Dragon
- Korlessa, Scale Singer
- Lozhan, Dragons’ Legacy
- Thrakkus the Butcher
- Alaundo the Seer
Dragons & Dungeons MTG Arena event
Scheduled to take place from July 18 at 10am CT to July 28 at 10am CT is the Dragons & Dungeons MTG Arena event, showcasing an all-access Historic Singleton format with two Emblems.
- Reign of Dragons Emblem: Dragon spells you cast with mana value five or greater cost one less to cast
- On a Quest! Emblem: Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, Venture into the Dungeon.
The entry fee for the event is 2,000 gold or 400 gems, offering players Rulebook card styles and gold as rewards. Players can earn up to four wins and are out of the event after two losses. The format is best-of-one all-access Historic Singleton. No duplicate card styles will get offered and up to 2,500 gold/three Rulebook card styles are earned with four wins.
Here are the Rulebook card styles offered as rewards within the Dragons & Dungeons MTG Arena event:
- Baba Lysaga, Night Witch
- Cloak of the Bat
- Gorion, Wise Mentor
- Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter
- Kagha, Shadow Archdruid
- Neera, Wild Mage
- Oji, the Exquisite Blade
- Raggadragga, Goreguts Boss
- Raphael, Fiendish Savior
- Mazzy, Truesword Paladin
July weekly, competitive, and rotating MTG Arena events
The release of Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate will feature a special Sealed event that will run from July 7 to 29, showcasing both best-of-one and best-of-three formats. And a Quick Draft for the expansion will take place in July and Aug.
- Quick Draft Innistrad: Crimson Vow: July 8 to 22
- Quick Draft Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate: July 22 to Aug. 5
- Quick Draft Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty: Aug. 5 to 19
- Quick Draft Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate: Aug. 19 to Sept. 2
Midweek Magic events throughout the month of July on MTG Arena will feature an Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Draft, Historic Pauper, Singleton, and Explorer.
- Midweek Magic Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Draft: July 12 to 14
- Midweek Magic Historic Pauper: July 19 to 21
- Midweek Magic Singleton: July 26 to 28
- Midweek Magic Explorer: Aug. 2 to 4
Competitive Magic players have an Arena Open during July, along with two Qualifier Play-In events and a Qualifier Weekend. Qualifier Play-In events are one-day tournaments offering invitations to compete in a Qualifier Weekend tournament. Players who make it to the second day of a Qualifier Weekend and earn up to seven wins on day two earn an invite to compete at the Arena Championship.
- July 16 best-of-one Qualifier Play-In: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed
- July 22 best-of-three Qualifier Play-In: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed
- July 23 to 24 Qualifier Weekend: Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Phantom Sealed
July MTG Arena Ranked rewards
The MTG Arena Ranked season will run from June 30 to July 31.
- Bronze: One Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster pack
- Silver: OneAlchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster pack and 500 gold
- Gold: Two Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster packs, 1,000 gold, and an Owlbear Shepherd card style
- Platinum: Three Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster packs, 1,000 gold, an Owlbear Shepherd, and a Stroke of Luck card style
- Diamond: Four Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster packs, 1,000 gold, an Owlbear Shepherd, and a Stroke of Luck card style
- Mythic: Five Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate booster packs, 1,000 gold, an Owlbear Shepherd, and a Stroke of Luck card style
Update July 20 2:15pm CT: New information regarding MTG Arena Open and expansion bundles for Historic and Explorer formats was added.
Update July 27 at 3:30pm CT: All new information regarding upcoming digital card releases and tournaments was added.