The month of June within Magic: The Gathering Arena is bringing about a new ranked season, competitive events, a unique Alchemy Draft event, and an Alchemy expansion containing a total of 30 cards.
A new Alchemy expansion, Alchemy: New Capenna, will drop into MTG Arena on June 2, containing a total of 30 new digital-only cards for the Alchemy and Historic formats. And with the release of the new expansion is a unique Premier Limited Draft event within the Alchemy format that will run from June 2 to 6.
A free-to-play Alchemy event called Into the Future will also be running from June 2 to 4, showcasing all cards within the format via preconstructed decks. And preorders for Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate drop at the end of June.
June 22 MTG Arena announcements update
Preorder bundles for the Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate expansion that drops into the Historic format begins on June 23. The expansion will contain a total of 81 new and reprinted cards from the Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, according to WotC. Also included in the expansion are new MTG Arena digital-only mechanics.
- Specialize: Pay mana and discard a color/land type of your choice to change your card to that new card with its effects (the change depends on which color you discarded).
- Double Team: When a creature with Double Team attacks, if it’s not a token, conjure a duplicate of the original in your hand, and then both cards lose Double Team.
- Boon: Represents delayed triggers, similar to an Emblem. But once it triggers, the Boon disappears.
Showcasing the Specialize MTG Arena mechanic was a card preview from the HBG expansion, Viconia, Nightsinger’s Disciple.
The main color for Viconia, Nightsinger’s Disciple is Black. Discarding a color/land type of your choice can transform the elf cleric into five possible versions: Viconia, Disciple of Rebirth, Viconia, Disciple of Arcana, Viconia, Disciple of Blood, Viconia, Disciple of Violence, and Viconia, Disciple of Strength.
Each version of Viconia, Nightsinger’s Disciple upon transforming has different abilities while they all have 3/4 baseline stats.
Chromatic Cube event
The Chromatic Cube event runs from June 24 to July 8, playable in best-of-one and best-of-three Draft with an entry fee of 4,000 gold or 600 gems. Designed around the same philosophy as the Live the Dream Cube via MTGO by David McDarby, the Chromatic Cube Draft supports 11 archetypes for ten color pairs, according to McDarby.
Here are the 11 Chromatic Cube archetypes:
- WU Blink
- UB Thievery
- BR Sacrifice
- RG Stompy
- GW Tokens
- WB Reanimator
- UR Storm
- BG Death
- RW Magecraft
- GU lands
- Five color Dream
June 15 Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate
WotC is attempting something new on MTG Arena, offering players preorder bundles for the upcoming Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate (HBG) set. Preorders will start on June 23 for the set that contains over 200 cards from the Commander set. The full HBG set on MTG Arena will feature new cards from the set, returning AFR cards, rebalanced cards, and a new mechanic that WotC hasn’t revealed yet at the time of writing.
Examples of cards arriving on July 7 with the release of Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate provided by WotC during the June 15 MTG Arena announcements included a rebalanced Lae’zel, Githyanki Warrior with an increased mana cost and new 2/4 baseline stats. Ancient Brass Dragon is also in the set, along with Wyll, Pact-Bound Duelist, and the Adventure Artifact Monster Manual.
Preorder bundles for Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate
Similar to Standard releases, there are two preorder bundles for Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate. One focuses on booster packs and the other showcases Draft tokens and Mastery XP levels.
Wyll Pack bundle
- Wyll, Pact-Bound Duelist card sleeve available at time of preorder purchase
- 50 HBG Set booster packs
- Five Mythic booster packs
- One Wyll, Pact-Bound Duelist card
- One Wyll, Pact-Bound Duelist card alternative art card style
Lae’zel Play bundle
- Lae’zel, Githyanki Warrior card sleeve available at time of preorder purchase
- One Chardalyn dragon pet available at time of preorder purchase
- Set Mastery Pass
- Three Player Draft tokens
- One Sealed token
- One Lae’zel Githyanki Warrior card
- One Lae’zel Githyanki Warrior alternative art card style
Early Access Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate
The Early Access event for MTG Arena new sets officially returned with the release of SNC. And it will take place for the upcoming HBG release as well. Viewers can watch their favorite content creators from around the globe play and construct decks with HBG cards from July 5 at 12pm CT to July 6 at 12pm CT.
June MTG Arena event schedule
The event schedule for the month of June within MTG Arena contains several special events, free-to-play events, and competitive events that will feed into the June Qualifier Weekend tournament and the Arena Championship.
All Midweek MTG Arena Magic events run from Tuesdays at 10am CT to Thursdays at 1pm CT on a weekly basis.
- Future Precons: June 7 to 9
- Historic Shakeup: June 14 to 16
- Alchemy: June 21 to 23
- Momir with multicolor spells: June 28 to 30
All Quick Draft events use bots to draft. Players will compete against other real players after drafting and crafting a deck.
- Strixhaven: May 27 to June 10
- Streets of New Capenna: June 10 to 24
- Midnight Hunt: June 24 to July 8
- Crimson Vow: July 8 to 22
- Alchemy Horizons Baldur’s Gate: July 22 to Aug. 5
In addition to the Alchemy events with the release of the Alchemy: New Capenna expansion, an Alchemy Metagame Challenge will take place this month. Chromatic Cube will also return at the end of June.
- Into the Future: June 2 to 4
- Premier Alchemy New Capenna Draft: June 2 to 5
- Alchemy Metagame Challenge: June 10 to 12
- Theros Beyond Death Premier Draft: June 17 to 24
- Chromatic Cube: June 24 to July 7
- Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Sealed: July 7 to 19
- Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate Constructed: July 15 to 18
Organized MTG Arena competitive play
The month of June contains two MTG Arena qualifier play-in events taking place on June 11 and 17. Both will feature gameplay in the Explorer format. The Qualifier Weekend tournament, which will showcase the Explorer format and take place from June 18 to 19, will offer players direct invites to the MTG Arena Championship.
June MTG Arena ranked season rewards
The June MTG Arena ranked season runs from May 31 to June 30.
- Bronze: One SNC booster pack
- Silver: One SNC booster pack and 500 gold
- Gold: Two SNC booster packs, 1,000 gold, and a Syndicate Infiltrator card style
- Platinum: Three SNC booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Syndicate Infiltrator, and a Gala Greeters card style
- Diamond: Four SNC booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Syndicate Infiltrator, and a Gala Greeterscard style
- Mythic: Five SNC booster packs, 1,000 gold, a Syndicate Infiltrator, and a Gala Greeterscard style
Update June 16 at 8am CT: All information regarding the upcoming Alchemy Horizons: Baldur’s Gate from the June 15 update was added.
Update June 22 at 3pm CT: All information was updated following updated MTG Arena announcement notes on June 22.