Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fans were probably expecting too much heading into the release of Patch 9.0.1, as it doesn’t address any specific fighters outside of Minecraft Steve.
One big change was made, however, as Nintendo completely removed the meme-heavy win screen that showed Steve holding a piece of meat in a very odd position.
Outside of removing a meme, Nintendo did make some changes to Steve/Alex’s overall moveset by tweaking things so that other fighters wouldn’t interact strangely with some of the placed blocks on a stage. Specifically, this patch makes it so opposing fighters can’t glitch through parts of a stage when someone playing Steve places a block at certain locations.
Another bug fix was removing a glitch where some fighters would not be controllable by their players after being hit by a minecart in certain interactions. This would leave a player unable to move at all until they were beaten. The minecart was actually a big area of focus for this 9.0.1 update.
Here are all of the patch notes from the official Nintendo support website.
- Fixed the issue where sometimes an opposing fighter would go through the landscape when Steve/Alex created a block at a certain location and the opposing fighter destroyed the block.
- Fixed the issue where sometimes an opposing fighter would go through the landscape when Steve/Alex created a block at a certain location and the anvil created with a down air attack struck the opposing fighter.
- Fixed the issue where the opposing fighter would become uncontrollable when Steve/Alex hit them with a minecart in certain situations.
- Fixed the issue where if Steve/Alex’s minecart bounced off the wall, it would not hit the opposing fighter.
- Fixed the issue where opposing fighters carried in Steve/Alex’s minecart would sometimes be warped to the original location where they were picked up.
- Fixed the issue where certain fighters could go through Steve/Alex’s block once KO’d.