Not every Pokémon has a special gimmick to make it stand out among the rest, but Ogerpon has a mechanic exclusively tied to the unique items it can hold to change forms Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s The Teal Mask DLC.
Ogerpon is a pure Grass-type that headlines The Teal Mask as its titular Pokémon, and it lives up to the DLC’s name by using different masks to change forms. Each form has a different typing, moves, and abilities that can only be accessed using a specific mask—or removing one.
How many forms does Ogerpon have in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet The Teal Mask DLC?
Ogerpon has a total of four distinct forms introduced in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s The Teal Mask DLC: Teal Mask, Wellspring Mask, Hearthflame Mask, and Cornerstone Mask.
Each mask adds an additional typing to Ogerpon’s base Grass type that it has when wearing the Teal Mask. You get access to all four forms as soon as you catch Ogerpon.
How to change Ogerpon’s mask in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet The Teal Mask DLC
Once you catch Ogerpon, you should have all of its masks in your bag’s item pocket. Giving it any of the masks will trigger a form change cutscene and swap the Pokémon’s typing, ability, and unique Terastallization trait.
You can change Ogerpon’s form at any time by removing the mask it is holding and giving it one of the other ones. When not holding the Wellspring Mask, Hearthflame Mask, or Cornerstone Mask it will remain in its Teal Mask base form.
Can you change Ogerpon’s Tera Type in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet The Teal Mask?
Since Ogerpon’s entire Terastallization mechanic hinges on what mask it is holding to give it a unique form, you can’t change its base Tera Type.
This means Ogerpon’s Tera Type is entirely decided by its masks and players will have to take that into account when choosing which form they want to use.
All Ogerpon form abilities and typings in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet The Teal Mask DLC
- Teal Mask
- Typing: Grass
- Ability: Defiant
- Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered. Doesn’t work on self inflicted stat drops or drops from allies
- Terastallized Ability: Embody Aspect – Teal Mask
- The Pokémon’s heart fills with memories, causing the Teal Mask to shine and the Pokémon’s Speed stat to be boosted.
- Wellspring Mask
- Typing: Grass/Water
- Ability: Water Absorb
- The Pokémon heals up to 1/4 of its maximum Hit Points when hit with Water-type moves.
- Terastallized Ability: Embody Aspect – Wellspring Mask
- The Pokémon’s heart fills with memories, causing the Wellspring Mask to shine and the Pokémon’s Sp. Def stat to be boosted.
- Hearthflame Mask
- Typing: Grass/Fire
- Ability: Mold Breaker
- The Pokémon’s moves are not affected by foe’s abilities during battle.
- Terastallized Ability: Embody Aspect – Hearthflame Mask
- The Pokémon’s heart fills with memories, causing the Hearthflame Mask to shine and the Pokémon’s Attack stat to be boosted.
- Cornerstone Mask
- Typing: Grass/Rock
- Ability: Sturdy
- The Pokémon will remain with 1 HP if it was going to be knocked out by a move when at full Hit Points, and it is immune to One Hit KO moves.
- Terastallized Ability: Embody Aspect – Cornerstone Mask
- The Pokémon’s heart fills with memories, causing the Cornerstone Mask to shine and the Pokémon’s Defense stat to be boosted.
There are plenty of other rare Pokémon with interesting new abilities too, such as the Pltchageist and its odd evolution mechanics.