With Ancient set to be introduced into the competitive map pool in time for the return of majors, Valve have made a series of visual and gameplay changes to the new map. Update 184.108.40.206 was released on May 13 with several new additions.
The following changes have been made to Ancient, according to the patch notes.
- Implemented Cubby 2.0 in mid connector to A, to remove cheap shoulder angle towards site
- Slimmed down the fancy rock, also in mid connector to A
- Sparsed foliage and improved clipping on boost planter near A main
- Quieted down soundscape birds
- Removed clipping from top of bombsite sign in A site, allowing you to self-boost to planter by T main
- Added vphysics clip to T spawn water so guns don’t fully submerge
- So many clip brush tweaks
- Blocked grenades from entering inaccessible building by T entrance to mid
- Blocked pixelgaps through scaffolding near B site
- Blocked pixelgaps through doorway trim in new CT path to A site
- Simplified grenade collision on rooftops
- General optimizations
With these changes, the community can hopefully warm up to the newest map at a quicker pace. Ancient was added to active duty map pool in the beginning of May as part of the end of Operation Broken Fang, with Train getting removed. This addition came after numerous tweaks and changes and upgrades after the map’s original debut.
This addition into the map pool came just weeks before the beginning of Flashpoint 3, with major implications on the line, but Valve revealed that Ancient wouldn’t be part of that event’s map pool.
The update also made a few changes to both the Grind and Frostbite maps.