Pokemon Sword and Shield has claimed the top award at this year’s Famitsu Dengeki awards, with various other sports titles taking the top accolades at the event.
The award show, which celebrates games released in 2019, saw Apex Legends earn best shooter of 2019, beating Fortnite (which won the best sports title award), while Pokémon Sword and Shield won best RPG.
Kojima Products won the most awards on the evening though, with Death Stranding picking up Best Graphics, Best Action-Adventure Game, Best Character, Best Rookie Game, and MVG (Most Valuable Creator) on the night.
The full list of award winners includes the following:
- Best Rookie Award: Death Stranding
- Best Indie Award: Gnosia
- Best Shooter Award: Apex Legends
- Best eSports Award: Fortnite
- Best Online Game Award: Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
- Best Streamer Award: Junichi Kato
- Best RPG Award: Pokémon Sword & Shield
- Best Action Award: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Action Adventure Award: Death Stranding
- Best Adventure Award: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
- Best Creator in China: Hideo Kojima
- Best Game in China: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Character Award: Sam Porter Bridges (Death Stranding)
- Best Music Award: Persona 5 Royal
- Best Scenario Award: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
- Best Graphics Award: Death Stranding
- Special Award: Dragon Quest Walk / Ring Fit Adventure
- Most Valuable Creator: Hideo Kojima
- Game of the Year: Pokémon Sword & Shield
The awards were revealed in a live stream late last night with the hosts social distancing due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Most of the award winners accepted their rewards through pre-recorded videos or through livestream.