Fortnite pro player Jake “Poach” Brumleve has confirmed Epic Games is looking at moving away from a battle royale format for future Fortnite tournaments.
During his stream on Feb. 21, Poach said he had been in talks with the developers about mixing up future tournaments.
“Fortnite has a lot of possibilities outside of battle royale and I’ve talked to the Epic devs about it, and it’s something they are considering.” Poach said. “With Creative being added, more tournaments and stuff like that could be based around stuff that might not be a battle royale. But it’s all up in the air and you just don’t know.”
The introduction of Creative mode has given Fortnite players the ability to create and take part in custom maps. Most famously, “Cizzorz” created death run maps that a number of top Fortnite players, including Benjamin “Dr Lupo” Lupo, have competed on. Death run maps include a series of “rooms” filled with traps in which the player has to navigate to get from one side to the other. Since the creation of his first map, Cizzorz has created two more versions and even offered a monetary prize for the first person to complete the map.
As for current battle royale tournaments, Poach doesn’t think it makes sense for pros to attend them, at least as they’re structured right now.
“If you are a successful streamer, it’s not smart financially for you to go to these tournaments,” Poach said. Those comments come after Turner “Tfue” Tenney and Dennis “Cloak” Lepore said they are pulling out of the Katowice Royale because the prize pool winnings are lower than what they make streaming.
ESL Katowice Royale, which starts tomorrow, is the first major event supported by Epic that will see players from all major regions compete for the first time.