*Note that these are my opinions and my opinions only
Pool Play Predictions
This tournament (UMG Dallas) has four pools, with four teams currently in each pool and one more to qualify for each in the open bracket. The top two teams from each pool advance to the winners’ bracket, while the bottom three have to fight through the losers’ bracket for the rest of the tournament. As there is absolutely no way for me to tell which open bracket teams will make it to pool play, I will only predict the final standings of the current teams in each pool.
Pool A: OpTic Gaming, Team EnVy, XGN, Dunkin’ no Donuts
- 1st: OpTic Gaming (Scump, Crimsix, Formal, Karma)
- 2nd: Team EnVy (Loony, Octane, Aqua, JKap)
- 3rd: XGN (Killa, SpaceLy, StuDyy, Goonjar)
- 4th: Dunkin’ no Donuts (HumanJesus, Nova, Eleiviate, Derpin)
- 5th: N/A
The main idea here is that you simply cannot bet against OpTic. They are too dominant. EnVy could catch them off guard though, as OpTic has a history of problems in pool play. It’s also worth noting that EnVy took OpTic to a Game 5 in the first game of Season 3 of the Major League Gaming Pro League.
Pool B: FaZe Clan, Rise Nation, Enigma6, Rod Squad
- 1st: FaZe Clan (Clayster, Enable, Attach, Zooma)
- 2nd: Enigma6 (General, MRuiz, Parasite, ProoFy)
- 3rd: Rise Nation (Chino, Whea7s, TcM, TeeJ)
- 4th: Rod Squad (Nelson, Wolf, Assault, Kenny)
- 5th: N/A
Like OpTic, FaZe looks extremely impressive and should not have trouble winning their pool. The upstart Enigma6 squad will look to beat out Rise, a pro team, and win the number two spot in the pool.
Pool C: Denial eSports, Team Kaliber, vVv Gaming, iSolation Empire
- 1st: Denial eSports (Replays, Slasher, Huke, Temp)
- 2nd: iSolation Empire (Dedo, GodRx, Havok, SiLLy)
- 3rd: Team Kaliber (Sharp, Neslo, Theory, Nameless)
- 4th: vVv Gaming (Phizzurp, John, FEARS, FeLony)
- 5th: N/A
The new Denial roster has looked extremely impressive online so far, and I think their success can carry over to LAN. With GodRx filling in for LlamaGod, who couldn’t attend the event, iSo is still a very strong team. The only way they get beat, is if Team Kaliber plays to their full potential or if iSo has an off match.
Pool D: Team eLevate, OpTic Nation, TCM Gaming, Epsilon eSports.NA
- 1st: Team eLevate (Slacked, Classic, Apathy, Saints)
- 2nd: TCM Gaming (Moose, Jurd, Aches, TeePee)
- 3rd: OpTic Nation (MBoZe, Mochila, Ricky, Mirx)
- 4th: Epsilon eSports.NA (Swanny, Nagafen, Royalty, Remy)
- 5th: N/A
This was definitely the hardest pool to predict. I can honestly say that I am not confident in any of these picks, and every single one of them could be wrong. The only pick I am even slightly confident in is eLevate taking the pool, and I’m only slightly confident. This pool is full of inconsistent teams, and anything could happen. This is just what I think could happen.
Final Top 8 Predictions
- 1st Place: OpTic Gaming
- 2nd Place: FaZe Clan
- 3rd Place: Team eLevate
- 4th Place: Team EnVy
- 5th-6th Place: Denial eSports
- 5th-6th Place: Enigma6
- 7th-8th Place: TCM Gaming
- 7th-8th Place: Team Kaliber