More information about the mid-season update involving tanks was revealed on Riot’s forums earlier today. Additionally, “Riot Solcrushed” on the PBE forums talked about the first champion who will be seeing changes in this update: Sejuani.
For the overall tank update, Riot revealed what their main goals are for the update itself:
- We’re adding more skill expression to tank combat patterns, for themselves as well as their opponents. We’re looking to offer more points of play and counterplay and reward players for mastering them.
- We’re reducing the amount of reliable damage that tanks bring to the game and instead amplifying their defensive and crowd control capabilities. We want to ensure that the tanks are correctly valued for the right reasons and definitively set them apart from their offensive counterparts.
- We’re making each tank more unique. Vanguards in particular fall short in this regard, so we’re looking to add more uniqueness outside of their ability to effectively initiate teamfights.
On the topic of Sejuani, these are the approaches Riot is considering in regards to changing this champion:
- Tap more into the cavalier/warleader fantasy
We would like to have moments where it feels like Sejuani is actively leading and inspiring her allies. We would also like to add more elements to her kit that alludes to the cavalier fantasy who is always on the move ready to rush in on her opposition.
- Create a more engaging base combat pattern
We want to make her base pattern more engaging and worth mastering for Sejuani players, and also give enemies something to play around. We will be reworking her base spells so the majority of her damage no longer comes from just standing near her opponents. This will mean that we will need to take some of the power away from her currently overwhelmingly powerful ultimate so we can give all of her base spells real impact.
- Create a clear and unique defensive profile
We want tanks to be defined more by their defensive mechanics and Sejuani is no exception. As we reduce the amount of reliable damage she can put out, we want to change her passive so it is both more character defining and appreciable.
- Allow her to directly synergize with specific allies
We’re looking to give Sejuani ways to directly augment the effectiveness of her allies. Instead of just augmenting all her allies, we want Sejuani to benefit specific allies in ways that will make her feel like a true barbarian warleader.
Adam Newell is a journalist for @GAMURScom and can be contacted in ways displayed below. If you have any tips or want anything covered, be sure to let us know:
Image via Riot Games