All the crazy Tiebreaker Scenarios possible at the NA LCS this Weekend.
A 3-way tie for 2nd between TiP, CLG and Cloud 9 is possible if...
- CLG beats Team 8 and loses to TiP.
- TiP beats CLG and Dignitas
- Cloud 9 beats TSM and Gravity
A 3 way tie for 5th between Gravity, Liquid and Team 8 is then possible if...
- Gravity loses to C9 and beats Team 8
- Team 8 loses to Gravity and beats CLG
- Liquid beats Dignitas and Winterfox
Below you'll find Rule 7.3.3, which governs 3-way tiebreakers
Three-way tie: A single round-robin will be played among the three teams. If this does not result in a hierarchical ranking of teams (i.e., distinct 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 team records), then the three teams will be randomly drawn into a single-elimination bracket where one team has a bye into the finals.
*shoutout to Skyzas for the two above tie breakers
A 4-way tie for 1st place between TSM, CLG, Cloud 9 and TiP will be forced if...
- TSM goes 0-2
- CLG goes 1-1-
- Cloud 9 and TiP both go 2-0
A 4-way tie for 2nd place between CLG, Cloud 9, TiP, and either Gravity or Team 8 is possible if...
- TSM beats Coast and loses to Cloud 9.
- Cloud 9 beats TSM and loses to Gravity
- CLG loses to TiP and Team 8.
- TiP beats CLG and loses to Dignitas.
- Team 8 if they beat CLG and Gravity, or Gravity if they beat Cloud 9 and Team 8.
A 4-way tie for 3rd place between TiP, Gravity, Liquid and Team 8 is possible if...
- CLG beats TiP and loses to Team 8.
- Team 8 beats CLG and loses to Gravity.
- Gravity beats Team 8, but loses to Cloud 9.
- TiP loses to both Dignitas and CLG.
- Liquid beats Winterfox and Dignitas.
Below you'll find Rule 7.3.4, which governs 4-way tiebreakers.
Four-way tie: The teams will be randomly drawn into a “Korean-style” or “dual” bracket, where teams play Bo1 matches throughout the tournament. The four teams will be split into two first-round matches; ersion 2.01; January 8, 2015 29 the winners will then face off in Game 3 while the losers face off in Game 4. The winner of Game 3 will be declared the top seed; the loser of Game 3 will face the winner of Game 4 in a contest to determine 2nd/3rd place; and the loser of Game 4 will be declared 4th place.
A 5 way tie for 3rd between Team 8, Gravity Cloud 9, TiP and Liquid is possible if
- CLG beats TiP and Team 8.
- Team 8 loses to CLG and beat Gravity
- Cloud 9 loses to TSM and Gravity.
- Gravity beats Cloud 9 and loses to Team 8.
- Liquid beats Winterfox and Dignitas
- TiP loses to both Dignitas and CLG.
Below you'll find Rule 7.3.5. which governs 5-way tiebreakers.
Five-way tie: The teams will be randomly drawn into a single elimination bracket, where there is a play-in between two teams for the fourth semi-final spot. The tournament will require a 3rd -place match to determine seeding.
Either Team 8 or Gravity can still earn a first round bye if...
- they go 2-0
- CLG goes 0-2
- TiP and Cloud 9 win no more than one game each.
This would result in a tie between either Gravity or Team 8, CLG and TiP and Cloud 9 if either team goes 1-1. This could mean either a 3-way, which is governed by rule 7.3.3or a 4-way tie which is governed by the above rule 7.3.4.
Team Liquid can still qualify for the playoffs if...
- They go 2-0, and either Gravity or Team 8 go 0-2
- They go 2-0, and either Gravity, Team 8 or both go 1-1, forcing a tiebreaker.
- They go 1-1, and either Gravity or Team 8 go 0-2, forcing a tiebreaker.
In the case of a 2-way tie, a simple tiebreaker match will be played. If Liquid goes 2-0, and Gravity and Team 8 go 1-1-, this would result in a 3-way tie as governed by Rule 7.3.3.
Both of the above scenarios actually have a realistic chance of happening since Liquid plays Winterfox and Dignitas, while Team 8 and Gravity play each other, Team 8 plays CLG, and Gravity plays Cloud 9.