Apex Legends rocketed in popularity quickly after its release on Feb. 4, with players on Xbox One, PS4, and PC having one goal in mind— get that precious battle royale victory.
Unlike most battle royale games, Apex Legends asks players to choose a character to go into battle with. It’s similar to games like Overwatch—with each character, called legends, having their own abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
There are currently six free characters that players can choose from, while two others can be purchased either with in-game currency or your hard-earned cash.
Depending on your playstyle or preferred setup, there is surely a character that works for you, so take a look at them all below to see which one stands out most.
- Passive: See tracks left behind by foes.
- Tactical: Briefly reveal hidden enemies, traps, and clues throughout structures near you.
- Ultimate: Enhances senses, allowing you to move faster.
- Passive: Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming enemy fire.
- Tactical: Throw down a dome shield that blocks all attacks for 15 seconds.
- Ultimate: Call in a mortar strike on a marker position.
- Passive: Revive knocked down teammates faster, healing items are used 25% faster.
- Tactical: Call down a drone that automatically heals nearby teammates over time.
- Ultimate: Call in a drop pod full of high quality items.
- Passive: A voice will warn you when danger approaches.
- Tactical: Warp and re position yourself without worrying about taking damage.
- Ultimate: Create a portal for 60 seconds between two locations. Usable by entire team.
- Passive: Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Tactical: Grapple that can get you out of places quickly.
- Ultimate: Create a zipline that anyone can use.
- Passive: Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief period of time.
- Tactical: Fire a high-velocity smoke canister from a launcher that creates a smoke wall.
- Ultimate: Call in an artillery strike that slowly moves across the landscape.
- Passive: You can see enemies through gas.
- Tactical: You can drop deadly gas canisters that explode when shot or triggered by enemies.
- Ultimate: Spawns a large area of deadly gas.
- Passive: Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for five seconds when knocked down.
- Tactical: Send out a decoy that runs across the map, confusing enemies.
- Ultimate: Deploy a team of decoys while you cloak to distract enemies.
- Passive: While not taking damage, Octane restores health over time.
- Tactical: Moves 30 percent faster for six seconds at the cost of some health.
- Ultimate: Deployable Jump Pad that catapults users through the air.