Monte and DoA Not Attending Worlds
Recently the broadcast team for Worlds 2016 was announced, and notably absent from the list were long-time staples Christopher "MonteCristo" Mykkles and Erik "DoA" Lonquist. Today, they released their statements to ESPN Writer, Jacob Wolf.
DoA had this to say, "I had an amazing time at Worlds last year and greatly enjoyed working with my fellow League casters from around the world and with Riot's awesome production team at the various venues we did shows at. I was invited by Riot to cast again this year, but unfortunately had to decline due to some upcoming esports obligations I've got here in Korea and because of some personal projects that I'd like to focus on. I wish the Riot casting talent and production teams the best of luck at Worlds this year."
As to why Monte will not be attending, it gets a little more interesting. He told ESPN that he was notified on Aug. 9 that he would not be receiving an invite to cast. He says in his statement that, "It's been an absolute pleasure to work with the Riot production crew and my casting colleagues at Riot's international events for the past three years," Mykles told ESPN. "Riot decided not to invite me to this year's League of Legends World Championship. I'm sorry to my fans that I will miss this opportunity, but pleased to say that I have upcoming casting projects that I am very excited about for the remainder of 2016."
In Riot's ban of Monte from owning a team in the LCS, it also said that this ban would not affect his casting career in their game, yet clearly it has, as they chose to not invite him. Monte has been a staple of League of Legends for a long time and is well known as the premier Korean League of Legends expert.
That said, this is not discouraging Monte from casting other things, as he will also be joining DoA in casting the OGN Overwatch League that was just recently announced.
Are you bummed that these two legends will not be casting Worlds? Let us know by commenting below or tweeting us @GAMURScom.